This is an easy satay recipe using peanut butter.
Toddlers can be fickle, fussy eaters at times. Keeping meals interesting by serving dishes which look a little different can sometimes help with getting our little ones re-engaged and willing to try something new.
We call this dish ‘Peanut Butter Chicken Sticks’, as our kids love both Peanut Butter, and eating almost anything off a stick.
The pointy end is a bit sharp, so supervision is required while the toddlers bite at the chicken and vegetables on the sticks.
The sauce can be adapted to use with the same ingredients to make a stir fry sauce with chicken and vegetables. Rice or Noodles give options for variations.
Easy Satay Recipe; Peanut Butter Chicken Sticks
Preparation 10 Minutes, Bake 25 Minutes. Makes 9 Skewers
1 Garlic Clove
1cm Piece Fresh Ginger
½ bunch Coriander Stalks (well washed)
3 Tbsp Kraft Crunchy Peanut Butter
¾ cup Hot Water
1 Tbsp Soy (or Gluten free Tamari)
1 Lime, juice
500g Chicken Breast in 2cm cubes
½ packet Baby Corn
1 Red Capsicum
9 skewer sticks
1.Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a large baking dish with baking paper.
2. Finely dice the Garlic, Ginger and Coriander Stalks. Combine in a large bowl with Peanut Butter, Soy, Lime Juice and Hot Water. Taste to check you’re happy with the Satay flavour.
3. Add the cubed Chicken to the Satay sauce, mixing well to ensure all the chicken pieces are coated. Cover and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile slice the baby corn in half. Slice Zucchini into 1cm discs. Cut capsicum into 2cm squares.
5. Skewer capsicum, chicken, zucchini, chicken, zucchini, chicken then gently add the corn to cover the sharp tip.
6.Place all skewers in the baking dish. It doesn’t matter if they are overlapping a bit. Bake on the middle tray of the oven for 25 minutes or until marinade is a little golden on the chunky bits.
TIP : 1. Ask the butcher to cube the chicken breast ready to use to save time.
2. By marinading the chicken only first, the vegetables are not covered in marinade, retaining their vibrant colours.